Home > Ask Our Experts > Can I Get Back Pay for Child Maintenance?

Can I Get Back Pay for Child Maintenance?

Author: Lorna Elliott LLB (hons), Barrister - Updated: 10 December 2014 |
Maintenance Child Support Arrears


I was divorced in 2007 after a 5 year marriage (including 2 years separated). We have a 5 year old child and I'm the resident parent.

My ex has been very lax in paying maintenance, for a long time we got nothing and then £9 a week which has now stopped. My main question is would we be entitled to back payments for maintenance not received in the past?

(S.F, 18 February 2009)


This will depend on whether or not you have already contacted the Child Support Agency. Although you have mentioned 'maintenance' in your question, this can be by agreement or by court order so I will answer as though firstly you have put in a claim with the CSA, and secondly as though you haven’t already put in a claim.

If You Have Made a Claim Through The CSA

You mention that for a long time you received nothing, but this then changed to £9 a week. If this payment of £9 per week was facilitated through the Child Support Agency, i.e. you have already put in a claim for maintenance, you will be entitled to claim arrears back to the date on which the CSA first contacted your ex-husband.

The CSA can take a long time to process claims and to calculate how much money a non-resident parent should pay, and this could mean that your ex-husband suddenly receives a large bill. If he thought that it was unfair he would be able to challenge it. However, once the CSA are involved in a child support case, they almost never write off the arrears. Your husband could go bankrupt and would still owe his child support arrears.

If You Have Not Made a Claim Through The CSA

If your husband has been very lax about paying voluntary child support, my advice to you would be to contact the CSA as soon as possible. Unfortunately, the CSA cannot recoup payments that your ex husband promised to pay you in the past under a voluntary or informal arrangement.

However, you may be able to take civil legal action against your ex husband to try to recover the missed payments through the courts.

If your ex husband was ordered to pay maintenance as part of your divorce settlement and he has now stopped paying under this agreement, this can have very serious consequences for him (as he’s flouting a court order.) If this is the case you should consult your family law solicitor as you may need to go back to court.

You might also like...
Leave a Comment, Ask for Advice or Share Your Story...
[Add a Comment]
So will they clear his account cause someone told me that they couldn't take any money from his residential money so im confused
sam - 10-Dec-14 @ 7:54 PM
Ok i have been trying to ask the office here in the northwest Territories cause this money is from when he went to residential school but he has 50.000 and owes 11.000 and trying to get him to buy groceries but no he drinking it all up
sam - 10-Dec-14 @ 7:49 PM
I have been trying to ask if child maintenance is allowed to take payment from residential payment
sam - 10-Dec-14 @ 7:43 PM
@disgruntled after 10 - Yes, they will take in to account taxable income from any of the following sources: property, (for example from rental income), savings and investments, plus miscellaneous income, such as casual earnings from one-off jobs, or late payments received for a business that is no longer active.
ChildSupportLaws - 27-Nov-14 @ 2:44 PM
I have just been asked for an increase after all these years because my ex-wife who has overcommited herself recently despite having an amicable agreement for the last decade.Please can you tell me if money received from a rental property can be taken into account as earnings.
disgruntled after 10 - 27-Nov-14 @ 2:31 PM
@racer - if he is living in the UK I can comment as this is a UK based site. However, we are not familiar with US laws, so if he is living there I can't help, sorry.
ChildSupportLaws - 28-Oct-14 @ 11:48 AM
My son and girl friend had a baby she was born on 3/19/91 soon after the girl friend told my son that see did not want him to stay and did not want any contact with him, as the rest of my family had moved to the USA by now he then moved to the US after many years with out contact the ex girl friend has now contacted him through Facebook and wants him to pay her money, he is still living in the USA
racer - 27-Oct-14 @ 10:48 AM
@Andrew - with something like this I'd advise you call the CSA directly and explain your problem directly.
ChildSupportLaws - 22-Oct-14 @ 2:40 PM
I have had a Liability Order made against me due to missed CSA payments. During the time period for which my former partner has claimed my daughter lived with me. Can I make a retrospective claim/ counter claim against my wife for the time my daughter stayed with me? If so are there any time restrains on when this claim has to made by?
Andrew - 17-Oct-14 @ 3:28 PM
Bunch of gold diggers the lot of you. Just look at all the comments. Not one bit of compassion. For the farther
gold diggers - 8-Oct-14 @ 4:37 PM
If you want the problem sorting out then you really need to approach the Child Support Agency and ask them to follow it up. If he is working he should be obliged to pay maintencance. You can't rely upon vague promises to put the money in a trust fund.
ChildSupportLaws - 8-Oct-14 @ 12:49 PM
My son was born in uk in 1998 and due to circumstances both my son and I returned home to Ireland in 2000. My ex paid maintenance voluntarily for one year and then didn't maintain a relationship or maintenance payements there after. Didn't hear from him for about two years when he said he was going to backdate payments and sort out this... Much to my dismay it still isn't sorted out! He then got in touch two years ago to say he has been putting it in a trust find for our son! How am I to know if this is the case! What can I do!
Pickle - 8-Oct-14 @ 11:47 AM
My son is 3yrs old and going to start his schooling by next year , we are just having homeschooling for now.His dad and I were not married but he is on his birth certificate as well as baptismal.He was been generous supporting him until he went back to Uk for his sick mum.From Aug. last year and upto the present he failed to send support.The last email i got from him was last March telling he was just waiting for.his mum probate who was died last Dec. from then and upto now nno more news from him.Is there anyway to contact him? Also is it possible to ask support for his child..thanks so much for any advice you can give.God bless.
nigella - 30-Sep-14 @ 7:48 AM
My Legal Aid Case Worker filed for Child Support when I separated from my ex-husband when the children were just 3 and 6 years old.Legal Aid Case Worker fought hard to get maintenance off him, but then he decided to give up his job so that he did not have to pay.I left Australia with the two children to reside in the UK.I recently returned to live in Australia 15 years later and received a pathetic cheque for just over $2000 towards child support. After I cashed it in I then receive a letter to say that I now owe my ex husband just over $17,000 because my son chose to leave the UK and return to live with his father at the age of 14.It is ok for him to claim $17,000 from me but what happened to my claim through CSA when the kids were 3 and 6 years of age and living with me?My Legal Aid team alongwith Child Support just gave us so easily, why?I am now giving the cheque of $2000 for the children to share!If I am given the chance to counterclaim and if I am successful in receiving any maintenance money from their father then it will also be shared by both my children who are now in their early 20's.
Steph - 28-Sep-14 @ 5:23 AM
I was With my ex husband for 20 years! We had three children! He had an affair and walked out when the children were 11, 9 and almost 4 ... He proceeded to make us homeless and make no contribution financially to the family. Five years down the line myself and the children are living with my parent and he still makes NO contribution what so ever? The children don't even receive bday or Christmas cards from his family?!?! I have spent five years in court! And had a financial order in place which he never paid! And have had the CSA and CMS on his case? The debt is running into many many thousands! Which he is apparently receiving constant notifications about? He has a home! A car! A company van! His own business! Eddies Boilers based in Sawbridgeworth Herts. Many holidays! A new wife! A big wedding! A honeymoon! And now another child! And yet seems to bare NO responsibility at all for his other three children ... What is going on with the system? How can the responsibility of his children fall so easily on me and my family? He wonders why his children won't even speak to him? What ever kind of example is he setting to them? And what is the system worth when I am doing ALL the donkey work informing them of his changes of address? New telephone numbers? New jobs? And yet still? My children are receiving nothing?
Polly - 27-Sep-14 @ 12:01 AM
My x partner has been paying me child maintenance direct to me arranged by the csa but he is not declaring his real wages and has sent me an email saying that if i persue the csa i will get less as he earns much less on paper. I have had no luck in finding out what he is doing with his money and the csa say i can't back claim. Is this true if so i feel it unfair!
weza - 2-Sep-14 @ 5:17 PM
I've been paying child support for 2 kids for my ex. wife . and i have three more kids with my new fiance. my questions is can they reduce my child support bc i have three more kids?
hank - 29-Aug-14 @ 3:07 PM
Can my ex husband be forced to sell his home if he is in arrears and now csa say as hes not claiming any benefits I get no money whatsoever. How do I get whats owed even if its just the arrears? Someone must know out there please . He has a wife whos working.
ladybird - 15-Aug-14 @ 3:17 PM
Hi,wonder if anyone can assist Me (dad) and my ex split up 8 years ago and at the time agreed I would keep still claim the child benefit but give her half, plus half of his school dinner. This is sent by bacs every month, on pay day. He is at mine 3 nights week minimum, plus any extra's as needed. Problem started when me and my new wife's baby was born. I found out we may be entitled to some child tax credit, an extra £40 per week if we claim for both children. Wife was made redundant too just before we found she was pregnant to make things very tight indeed!! Well, I approached my ex to let her her know what we wanted to do and it turns out she has claimed Tax Credits for him for all these years, without so much as a hint of splitting it 50/50. She now says she's going to approach the HMRC to change the child benefit claim to her, and "reminded" me that for all these years she could have claimed CSA. Pretty peeved that she can do this even though I'm a great dad who does loads for my son, and always contributes half to everything he needs. So as you can see pretty stuck right now: 1) can she "Switch" the child benefit claim to her as easy as that? 2) Done the CSA calculater which say's I should be expected to pay £15PW. would his "school dinner money" above (£10PW) count towards a CSA payment. 3) Can a CSA claim be backdated (£6240 ouch!!) 3) Should I even split the Child Benefit if she doesn't split her Tax Credits IN an effort to keep the peace I offered to keep the £80 child benefit and not claim for my son, much less than the extra I would get in the form of a Tax Credits claim. To rub salt in the wounds then there's also the fact she gets full child benefit for her 2nd child, and part benefit for her 3rd, whereas we can only claim part child benefit for my new baby cause I already claim for my son!!
orlfcchris - 17-Jun-14 @ 4:03 PM
Hi I have 5 children 3 from my 1st partner n 2 from my ex,the dad to my 3,as ever only really had contact with the eldest boy,we split when the babys were 6 mths old n he never asked to have or see them,he always came for my son on a weekend sometimes he would let him down,my son would take it out on me so when I met my ex he took on my two youngest from my 1st relationship n then we went on to have 2 children he worked and supported us all, I never stopped my son going to his dads he has never payed me a penny towards him my son is ten and my daughters are 7,i am now a single mom of five,my eldest son told my daughters that his dad was their dad so they went to see him slept a few times but dont like it there thier dads on the dole and lives with his new gf who as two children he has never supported my three children he walks round like hes got no responsibilities,he never gave my daughters bday presents or xmas presents he sends it my boy its just really spiteful,ther nan and grandad send my boy clothes and trainers n they used to help with his uniform,and theyve sent my daughters clothes and toys but they think because they do that now and again their son aint got to pay any money for his three children,i have stopped all contact with them now and stopped the grandparents buying for them because they always make excuses up for their son,ive old them im going to csa because he dont pay for his kids who iv brought up,he supports his new family and why im struggling and tryin to get a part time job to support my kids better,i was only sixteen when I had my boy and all his family told me to tell job centre/csa I didn't know who the dad was and same when I had my daughters,and now I see why they said that so he wasnt seen as a dad so he wouldn't have to pay,i want to know what will happen and would he have to back date me for my three children.even though iv stopped contact with all his family please get back to me asap.
sky - 3-Jun-14 @ 10:18 AM
Hi my ex has repeatadly failed to stick to private arrangements and has now also failed to stick to the csa schedual,he says he cant afford to pay but can afford driving lessons and driving tests and other luxories for himself. He earns over 1000 a month but as he is self employed the csa say they cant proove his earnings,he told them he only earns 125 a week and so they came bk after 3 hours with 9.10 a week he has to pay. That doesnt even cover my sons luch money for school!. How can i get the csa to act on my ex and enforce his payments and more so how can i get them to investigate what he really earns?
annoyed - 28-May-14 @ 11:10 PM
hi there, I am a single mum expecting my baby in September. I need to approach the father of the baby for child maintanance. He doesnt know about the baby yet and I am not expecting a great response becasue he already has got 2 kids. I also worry that he won't wllingly accept the baby as his, so how do I go about proving he is a father? And who will have to pay for the test? If the father doesnt want to pay the child maintanance what do I need to do to ensure he does? Finally, I am aligable for any legal aid? Any tips and contact details will be very useful! Many thanks, Joanna
JoR0103 - 7-May-14 @ 5:18 PM
My dad has never played his role as a father. He came to my resident country which is Jamaica last summer, this is the first I have seen him in about 12 years. He told me he was sorry about not taking care of me, he said e didn't want his wife to find out about me. He told me things would be different now he said he would send me to college but after he left Jamaica and arrived back in England I have not heard from him since. He had given me a number to contact but when I call that number the phone rings unanswered. Growing up without financial or emotional support from a father figure made life hard but what made it harder for me was that at the age of 12 I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I try not to feel sorry for myself but sometimes when I think about all I have to go through including taking insulin on a daily basis the pain becomes overwhelming. My mom has always been my sole provider and I want to know if I am liable for compensation from my biological father
Broken kid - 22-Apr-14 @ 9:09 PM
My daughter father is being investigated for fraudenly claiming jobseekers whilst receiving a large amount of inheritence for four years. He also paid £5 weekly for a number of years to his son. Will he and his working partner be liable to pay backdated full childmaintenance ? Will he go to prison? Will I now recieve full child maintenance? Will this effect my son monthly £80 child benifit?
Mum - 17-Apr-14 @ 3:50 PM
I am 37, my so called dad left my mum when she was expecting me. He never gave my mum any financial or emotional help throughout my life. He refused to sign my birth-certificate, and had denied me to most people, then in the other hand bragged he has seen me and my family ok( he is a joke).Is there any way i can claim back payments. Mum and I had nothing while he was driving a porche and running his own business why should he get off with not supporting us. My mum has been emotionally scared and i don't want to drag her through all this can i do this on my own.
Mcgoo - 16-Apr-14 @ 7:56 AM
Q- I am in a difficult situation here and it'd be great if anyone could advise me. My son is 19. when I became pregnant his father upped and left and moved out of the country. I made two attempts through the CSA to claim child support but both attempts failed as they were unable to trace him. I have since maried and moved to finland and my son lives here too. His biological father has never made any attempt to contact him his whole life until a couple of weeks ago when he unexpectedly sent him a message on facebook. My son agreed to meet him in the uk while he was there for christmas and it seems his father now wishes to be part of his life. My question is... as I had previously made a claim for child support when my son was a baby, is he liable to pay backdated child support? This may seem petty after all these years but without going into too much detail, his leaving basically changed tthe whole course of my life and I feel it's unfair he was able to just walk away scot free and get on with his life whereas I was left struggling alone with a child. I would be very grateful if anyone has any advice on this matter.
karingal - 30-Dec-13 @ 9:12 AM
My husband supported his ex wife when she wanted to emigrate to new zealand with them when the youngest was 6, the eldest then 10. He has been paying extortionate mtnce payments, initially £2k then £1300 after 4 years as he lost his job and he lost thousands when he took another job. We are now in financial hardship with 3 kids of our own, twins of 2 and a 5 year old. Can he now ask for child benefit after all these years? He stupidly never claimed and having sold our family home last year to move to rented and clear debt, hmrc are now after £27k from tax after redundancy which we dispute. Help!!
shirls - 14-Sep-13 @ 9:48 AM
Hi, My daughter is 2 years old. Her father has been paying £80 a month for her since she was around 1. I am happy that he is able to help a little but now that I have been back and forth from work, her childcare costs are alot. He owns his own business, a property maintenance company. I've had to stop working because I cant afford it but my sister has offered to help although I would prefer her father to but i don't want me applying to cause any drama. Am I entitled to more than £80 a month?
Kiza - 11-Sep-13 @ 12:31 PM
Hi I've been divorced for 11 years and after an initial claim for csa I was receiving payments of £24 a month for my two daughters aged then 3 and 5. These then stopped after a year due to the change in my ex circumstances. He now owns 2 houses and is a partner in a business but never pays child support. My question is can I claim back payments from 11 years ago and can I claim for my daughters now aged. 14 and 16.
Zarina - 14-Aug-13 @ 10:57 PM
Q - my ex husband has not paid a penny of periodical payments since our divorce 7 years ago. He has flouted court orders, & broken undertakings. He is claiming disability benefits for stress, but at the same time has managed to start up his own company as a director. His assets have been transferred to his family & also transferred assets overseas.During this time he has also managed to relieve himself from a considerable amount of debt through being a discharged bankrupt. The CSA are not involved because his earnings are achieved on a consultancy basis. What can I ask the courts to do in relation to disclosing his parents assets & details of bank accounts? He continues to pay for items of his choosing but only directly to his daughter.
Mum - 11-Aug-13 @ 8:40 AM
Leave a Comment, Ask for Advice or Share Your Story...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • MHunt
    Re: What counts as earnings?
    If any receiving parent or paying parent is looking at this, phone up every other day to keep you on top of their list. They do have…
    21 December 2014
  • helpplease
    Re: What Rights Does My Ex Have With Regards to Our Children?
    can someone help with this please. i have been divorced 8 years i have a son 12 a daughter…
    20 December 2014
  • argggggggggggggg
    Re: Who Has to Pay Child Support?
    Is it fair that PWC abuse the system, By not declaring CB ends, What about the CSA and its incompetent and incapable staff, that…
    19 December 2014
  • Despair
    Re: CSA Tribunals and Appeals
    I am due to attend a tribunal hearing as my Daughters Father has disputed the amount calculated on his current earnings. The truth is…
    18 December 2014
  • PaulV
    Re: The Law and Single Mothers
    @tryingsohard - it's a tricky one because how would you feel if the shoe was on the other foot and you met someone and your ex began…
    18 December 2014
  • tryingsohard
    Re: The Law and Single Mothers
    Hello me and my daughters dad split 9months ago. She is 2. He got a new girlfriend and wanted to introduce them. I let him as i…
    17 December 2014
  • ChildSupportLaws
    Re: The Law and Single Fathers
    @Goodbye - I'm going to direct you to our partner page Legal Aid Withdrawal: How to Represent Yourself, link
    17 December 2014
  • Goodbye!
    Re: The Law and Single Fathers
    My ex partner is a counsellor and has decided to up and leave ,call it a day 2 months ago. There has been no physical or emotional…
    17 December 2014
  • ChildSupportLaws
    Re: Child Custody Rights
    @ZVGH - Even though you don't have full residential access, you still have rights, meaning you could challenge it in court, especially if you…
    16 December 2014
  • ChildSupportLaws
    Re: How Much Will I Have To Pay?
    @jo - In theory you should only pay maintenance at the flat rate or half the rate if you get income-related Employment and Support…
    16 December 2014
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the ChildSupportLaws website. Please read our Disclaimer.