Home > Changing CSA Decisions > When, Why and How Can a CSA Decision Be Revised?

When, Why and How Can a CSA Decision Be Revised?

By: Lorna Elliott LLB (hons), Barrister - Updated: 26 Oct 2010 |
Csa Decision Revise Appeal Circumstances

In general, there are two ways in which a decision of the CSA can be revised: firstly, if the original decision was made less than a month ago, or secondly if there are special circumstances. These circumstances cannot include a mistake, or ignorance of the time limit. Somewhat unhelpfully, however, there is no definition in the rules for ‘special circumstances’.

Types Of Decisions That Can Be Revised

The majority of decisions made by the CSA can be revised. Examples include:
  • decisions to reduce a benefit decision
  • a decision to make an adjustment to maintenance
  • a decision to refuse a maintenance calculation
  • any of the decisions made on supersession.

In addition it may be possible to revise other types of CSA decisions, for example, on a variation application, a decision to impose a regular payments condition. However, in the event that you are unsure as to whether or not a decision can be revised (for example if you dispute the way in which the CSA has interpreted their own rules) it is important to seek legal advice without delay.

Timescales For Revisions

As we have already seen, decisions are generally capable of revision within one month. It is possible for the CSA to begin to revise a decision of its own volition. If a party lodges an appeal, the CSA may in the first instance decide whether it is a decision that is capable of being revised.

Outside the one month time limit, decisions can be revised in numerous circumstances, such as if it arose from an ‘official error’, if a party gave wrong or misleading information that formed part of the original decision, or if a late application is accepted, amongst others.

Failing To Disclose Information & Providing False Information

A person can only have failed to disclose information to the CSA that he or she is required to disclose to the CSA. Therefore if the person did not tell the CSA something that they were not obliged to disclose, there will be no such ‘failure.’ It is right to say that there is no general duty to report a change of circumstances to the CSA, unless the information that has changed is a fact that the parent with care is always under a duty to report.

In situations in which false information was provided, or there was a failure to provide relevant information, the CSA can revise their decision.

Procedure For Revision

When a decision is notified by the CSA, it sets out the procedure for having that decision revised. It is possible to request a revision over the telephone, however it is advisable – particularly if the facts relating to the request for a revision are complex –to put them in writing as well.

If the CSA decides that the application for revision may be meritorious, they may contact the other parties involved to request representations. It is important to note that there is no requirement for the CSA to notify anyone merely on receipt of an application for revision.

It is for the person who applies for the revision to prove that the revision should be made. If the applicant does not provide sufficient information for the revision to be made the CSA may ask for further information and a timescale within which to provide it.

If the request for revision is refused, only the person who applied for the revision will be informed unless the other party has been requested to provide representations and/or further information in relation to the revision application. The notification provides reasons for refusal, and how to appeal against the decision.

Once The Decision Has Been Revised

The CSA must notify the parties of any revision, whether or not the revision makes any change to the maintenance calculation. This notification will include information on how to appeal the revision, the time limit running from the date of the decision to refuse to revise, or the date of the notice of the revised decision, whichever applies.

Usually, the revision has the same ‘effective date’ as the original decision, unless the original date was wrong, in which case it will be replaced with the correct effective date.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Interested in bringing an action by way of judicial review with CSA. can you help?
Jonas - 21-Aug-11 @ 8:41 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Flynny
    Re: Child Custody Rights
    My brother has had my child from feb til now October I’ve taken this to court but because of the pandemic it’s took til now to have a hearing…
    20 October 2020
  • Steve
    Re: Can I Get Back Pay for Child Maintenance?
    How do I get 6 year back child maintenance my wife disappeared with the boyfriend I managed to track her down and…
    20 October 2020
  • Grace O'Sullivan
    Re: The Law and Single Mothers
    Hi. My daughters dad and I are separated and he wants to have her for a full day/ night weekly. However as she is only 7 months old…
    19 October 2020
  • Mother
    Re: Your Legal Rights as a Parent
    Hi me and my partner are currently fighting to get our son back from care he is 7 months old his childrens guardian is trying to…
    18 October 2020
  • John D
    Re: Child Custody Rights
    I am a father of nine children and I can't cope with them anymore. I feel I can't give them what they need. I think their mother is a good…
    15 October 2020
  • Hyperion57
    Re: How the CSA Works
    I Have being paying an agreed amount (£200) per week to support my children since my divorce back in may 2017. this as about £50 more than what…
    9 October 2020
  • vick
    Re: Can I Get Back Pay for Child Maintenance?
    I was awarded child maintenance for my 3 children in 2009 at total for the 3 was less than £9 per week. I was so…
    8 October 2020
  • WonderingWoman
    Re: Can a Parent Give Up His or Her Parental Rights?
    I have two children. I’m a single parent with one child I can not cope with (massive and unusual…
    8 October 2020
  • Carljones
    Re: What Happens When the CSA/CMS Gets it Wrong?
    October 2019 the mother of my child decided to cancel her claim and write of the arrears. I had few letters…
    7 October 2020
  • Goalkeeper
    Re: Can a Parent Give Up His or Her Parental Rights?
    My ex partner is making my life a living hell as long as I keep seeing my son my head can’t take all the…
    6 October 2020