Home > Related Laws > Child Support Payments: Your Entitlement

Child Support Payments: Your Entitlement

Author: Anna Martin - Updated: 28 January 2015 | commentsComment
Child Support Agency Csa Benefits

If you are the parent of a child, or children, and are raising them on your own you are entitled to claim child support payments from the non resident parent. This periodic maintenance payment may be agreed by private arrangement between both parents, but it may also be collected and handled by the Child Support Agency (CSA), in cases where there is a breakdown of communication between the adults.

Absent parents, who refuse to pay maintenance, can also be traced by the CSA and have an enforcement issued.

Are You Entitled To Claim?

Child support is a regular maintenance payment that is paid to parents who live with their children, by the parent who does not live in the same home. This periodic payment is made to assist the parent with care with the rising costs of raising a child. This payment can also be made to another family member or legal guardian if the child lives with them.

Child support is paid to a resident parent when a couple separate or divorce, or they have children but are not living together. The payment is made to provide financial support and to confirm responsibility for the welfare of the child. These payments also help to minimise the need for other forms of benefit.

How Is Maintenance Calculated?

The CSA work out the payable rate of maintenance by applying one of a number of rates to the absent parent’s income. Income means money earned from employment, tax credits or personal pension. Income tax and National Insurance is deducted, along with money that is paid into a pension plan. The remainder of the income is then evaluated and a basic, reduced, flat or nil rate is applied. The amount is adjusted according to how many children are involved in the maintenance application.

How Much Are You Entitled To?

Child support maintenance payments are calculated by the CSA, after assessing the income and living circumstances of the non resident parent. The amount of maintenance a parent with care will receive is calculated as being 15% of the non resident parent’s net income – for the first, or only child. The payable amount of maintenance increases to 20% of net income for two children, and to 25% for three. Children from subsequent families are treated in the same way.

Shared Parenting

If the child stays with the non resident parent for at least one night a week the amount of payable maintenance, given to the parent with care, is reduced accordingly. This situation is called Shared Care, and the amount of maintenance is reduced by one-seventh, for each night of the week that the child stays at the non resident parent’s home.

If care is divided equally between the parents the weekly amount of payable maintenance is halved in two, and reduced again by the required £7.

Flat Rate

If your maintenance payments are set at a flat rate, due to the non resident parent being on benefits or receiving allowance, shared care will mean that the maintenance payable to the parent with care is almost nothing.

You might also like...
Leave a Comment, Ask for Advice or Share Your Story...
[Add a Comment]
@Heartbroken - I am really sorry to hear of your situation, but it might be nothing personal , it may just be that she wants to spend more time with her boyfriend. But, no, her boyfriend's mother can't claim.
Pam - 28-Jan-15 @ 2:37 PM
My 17year old daughter has left home against our wishes and moved in with her boyfriend and his mother.Myself and my husband both work full time.Can the boyfriends mother claim child maintenance from us? Both my daughter & her boyfriend are in full time education and the mother is on benefits. Thanks
Heartbroken - 27-Jan-15 @ 10:05 AM
@Potty 11 - I have included a Government link to when child maintenance stops here. If she is living away, he can support her directly if he chooses. However, if she is at university then he does not have to. The maintenance payments should always only have been for her well-being and day-to-day care and has nothing to do with your own financial situation I'm afraid.
ChildSupportLaws - 9-Dec-14 @ 10:33 AM
Hi my daughter will be 18 years old this month, her father and i got,divorced more than 8 years ago, he has support her financially over this years, but he sent me a message telling me that he is not supporting her any more,she is actually living in Colombia, she is studying at university full time over there, he has a very good Job in london, in the contrary i only work couple and my income it's very low, what can i do, please i need some advise. Thank You very much
Potty 11 - 7-Dec-14 @ 1:52 PM
@Les......are you on good terms with your ex, could you talk to her directly? It seems it would be something better fitted to discussion (especially as your other children have moved in with you). Try approaching it gently, to see what her response is. If she doesn't agree then perhaps you could suggest mediation in order to resolve it to the best of all concerned.
Suze - 11-Nov-14 @ 10:45 AM
I am divorced. I have three daughters and a son. Nearly eight years ago I split with my wife and moved away. One by one my daughters also moved away from their mother for various reasons but mainly it seems through the mothers inflexible approach to them. They all at some point moved in with me. My now 12 year old son is also beginning to feel the same pressures his sisters did and he is expressing his desire to have me as his residential parent. How do I go about seeking custody and what evidential proof is needed to support such a claim. He says he feels depressed living with his mother but happy and relaxed when staying with me. His sisters are all willing to tell their stories.
Les - 10-Nov-14 @ 12:41 AM
@Doris - I can see this must be extremely frustrating for you as grandparents. It is hard to advise in detail as I'm not aware of the circumstances. Perhaps, it is something that could be bought up in mediation, if the parents are undergoing it. Or, you may have to seek legal advice independently. There might be some helpful pointers on another of our websites Grandparents who are Denied Access to Grandchildren - link here . I hope this helps.
ChildSupportLaws - 28-Oct-14 @ 9:46 AM
Please can I have some advice.My son and his girlfriend spilt up over a year ago and she will only allow him to have access if her Mother is there. He she not allowed to take her out on his own.Me and my husband her grandparents never get to see her beause I do not want to sit in her house being watched and we are also not allowed to take her out without her mother with us. What is the 1st process to obtain non custodial access. Thank you
Doris - 27-Oct-14 @ 3:18 PM
My ex-partner has refused to pay child support for two weeks as he took my daughter on holiday for this amount of time.Can you tell me is he is permitted to do this?He has only the parental rights I have given him, not any legal ones and he sees her Fri to Sun once a fortnight.
Pauls - 13-Aug-14 @ 10:02 AM
@leigh230, you still have to pay maintenance even though you are unable to see your child.
dan - 3-Jul-14 @ 2:17 PM
Hi my partner has a child with previous partner the boy is 12 now my partner have just received a letter saying he gotta pay .... He haven seen him for many years due to his ex partner stopping him any sort of access .... She have now married some one else and said she is changing the boys second name to his step dad's name .... What will this mean for the real dad will he still have to pay even thore he's not been able to seeing him and haven done for over 6 years ...
Leigh230 - 3-Jul-14 @ 1:27 PM
I have had 3 children and raised them all on my own, I have never received a payment from csa for any of them. I was told by the csa that they could not trace my children's father. How is this a fair system? My children are now all over the age of 18. I am proud that I have brought all 3 of them up on my own while working full time and not getting benefits, but feel cheated and let down by an agency which clearly doesn't work!
lana - 13-May-14 @ 4:16 PM
Hello I've been divorced for 3 years my ex used to pay regular child Maintainance payments for both of our children but stopped paying for my daughter as soon as she turned 18 even though she is still in full time educationis this right ? He always pays late when he knows it's close to my payday to make it harder for me . In three years he has never had the children over nightcan I get help from the csa
Vic - 28-Apr-14 @ 6:20 PM
Hi, A year ago i met a girl and started seeing her with a view to starting a relationship.When we met we both made it clear we didn't want a child, to ensure this never happened I brought protection but was told by the girl, she was using protection. Two months later, after one tantrum too many I decided to end the relationship.Two weeks later the girl phoned me, told me she was pregnant and that she was keeping the child.I told her that I was not financially ready for a child and reminded her that when we met she told me she did not want a child. After months of arguing I supported the girl while pregnant and she gave birth to my daughter.My birthday has just passed and the girl expected to see me.I told her I was spending the time with my family, cue another tantrum.I reminded the girl that we were not together at which point she warned that she would seek maintenance money from me. Do I have any rights in this situation? Thanks
Tom - 7-Apr-14 @ 2:58 PM
My husband recently left me and my 2 young children. We have a mortgage together. I can not afford the mortgage on my own. My husband wants to sell up. Do I have any rights with regards to making him pay towards the mortgage and does this count as maintenance ? Thanks
Tan82millie - 2-Feb-14 @ 7:10 PM
I have been separated from my husband for over a year now. We have 3 children which live with me. He has one of his daughters to sleep every Monday and his son and 1 daughter every Wednesday to sleep, on his alternate weekends he sometimes picks them up on a Friday evening but not always, sometimes its Saturday morning. The third child doesnt visit it him at all. He has them every other weekend. In all this time I have not asked him for any maintaince as I don't feel comfortable asking him as I ended the marriage. However my eldest child is going to university in September. Also my youngest daughter goes to a school where a bus is required. I have been paying approx £63 per month for this. He does buy two of the children clothes occasionally, however he put nothing towards my sons uniform as he was starting a new school. I earn aprox £20500.00 per annum before tax and N.I.and do claim housing benifits and child tax credits. I have no clue what he earns but he keeps telling me that I shouldn't be under any illusion that he earns alot. Though he tells me he works for paramount studios!! Am I entitled to claim maintainance and will it affect my benifits. I have been signed off work as I have been suffering from depression, I am fortunate that I am a manager and so am recieving full pay at the moment. But I am not sure if I can even return to my job. Please could you advise me.
Lou - 18-Jan-14 @ 3:59 PM
My daughter father and I are not married and he has been given temporary. Reaidencycle even though he has been in breech of a contact order he also has traumatised my daughter father by forcing her to watch a horror movie rated 18 he has also signed a contract with social services after my daughter father disclosed that she has been smaked and her arm was twisted. Social services have made no attempts to support me in stabilising my daughters psychological damage. And has supported her father in uprooting my daughter from her school and stable home which I have provided for her from birth consistantly. I need my daughter returned to me her mother and my rights are being takeing away illegally with no evidence to suggest her environment was not stable or unsafe. This organisation are continueing to fail and destroy families please help me get my daughter back and expose the continued faillings of the justice system.
Mel - 6-Jan-14 @ 11:19 PM
Hi, my daughter is pregnant after having sex with a friend, the 'father' says he doesn't want to know about the baby and get an abortion. my daughter can' do that. he says that he has nor responsibility for the baby if she keeps it. Am I right that even though he doesn't want to be in its life, he still can be asked for maintenance?
andy7807 - 26-Nov-13 @ 1:31 PM
I am privatly fostering a 15 yr old girl, since I have been receiving her child benefit and child tax credit her dad who is no relation to me is refusing to pay me maintenance . Can you tell me if he should be by law please .
Snazzy - 12-Nov-13 @ 1:19 PM
I do feel the CSA have a place in our society. BUT……there are too many chiefs! No-one knows what anyone else is doing in that place! My husband had a Deductions of Earnings Order slapped on him even though he was paying?? They then accused him of being in arrears?? After a year of my persistance the CSA finally issued us with an apology and gave us over £2500 back! And believe me….he is not on a good wage, he works hard and brings home a decent, livable wage. Here is what to do…….or this is what I did! Every time you speak to the CSA you must write down the date and day, time, an estimate of how long the call took, the phone number you rang and most importantly WHO YOU SPOKE TO! Then write a brief description of what was said. This may seem like a waste of tim but believe me it isn’t! If you get nowhere with the CSA go to your local MP……..they give the CSA time limits and the CSA MUST abide by these! If you still do not get anywhere or do not feel you have had the right outcome you can speak to the Independant Case Examiner! The CSA and the MP will be able to and must give you this option and their contact details! The CSA move very very quickly when they are contacted by the Independant Case Examiners as they have the legal rights to look into every detail of your case and the CSA must give any information or details that they want. Sometihing the CSA do not like. I hope this information helps some of you. Good luck
KLJ - 6-Nov-13 @ 2:47 PM
I was recently assaulted by my son , who has for the past 12 weeks been an inpatient at a Mental Health Hospital for Assessment. Due to the Risk Assessment , he may be admitted to a residential care home for Safety. I have written to CSA to inform my Son is not living with the PWC. This they will not take in to consideration, surely I have Legal Argument? As CSA is for the Cost of the child within the Home Environment, being Financially supported by PWC (Sorry in my Case NRP to top up his already 50,000 a year benefit salary). Any advice would be greatly appreciated, in view of these traumatic circumstances already!
Nightmare - 30-Oct-13 @ 4:09 AM
can some one help me i want to know how to appeal against csa?
richie - 17-Aug-13 @ 2:36 PM
advice.needed... I am currently still with my.partner however he is in the.army and only comes home 1 weekend out of the month if that we have a three year old son together and i pay all the bills,morgage and nursery fees etc my partner sends me no money can i take him through csa?
MissMe - 8-Aug-13 @ 8:41 PM
Hi tried.google.but.to no effect.... Me.and my partner.are together however he is.in the army and only.stays.at.home.once.every 5 weeks we have a three year old.son and i look after him and pay all the bills.i reciece no money from my partner can i take.him through csa??
MissMe - 8-Aug-13 @ 8:37 PM
Hi I wonder could you clarify a point for me.I am divorced from my husband and we have two children together.I am currently going through the CSA for payment to be collected.He has previously paid maintenance but it has gone from £300 a month to £160 a month, he has made the decision what he will pay each month with no consultation. We have 50/50 split for the care of the children.I have recently had to go back to work full time.When I was part time, I was able to pick up and take the children to school every day.Since going full time this has been impossible so I have been using a childminder for after school care. Mu ex husband refuses to pay childcare for the nights he is responsible for the children and I have been paying this for the last 8 months but I cannot sustain this expense any longer. Is there any guidance you can give me in relation to this as I believe he should be paying for the children's childcare on the nights he is due to collect them from school. CSA have said that the amount I will eventually get will be around £160 mark. Any information or guidance you may have in relation to the payment of the afterschool care would be appreciated. With thanks
cookie - 14-Jun-13 @ 4:57 PM
My childrens father doesnt work and gets benifits am I entitled to csa as he hasnt payed a penny in the 12 years that we have been split up my daughter is 17 and my son is 12
Suzanne Archer - 6-Jun-13 @ 11:38 PM
my partner will not sign the parental responsibilty agreement as she's being stubborn and enjoys a hold over me, eventhough i can take her to court and win, and pass the costs over to her. she works abroad a lot and sometimes is uncontactable. in the case of an emergency if i give my consent will i be in trouble with the law?
noty - 23-Jan-13 @ 9:59 PM
The law seems to encourage fathers contact rights regardless of weather they pay maintenance, how about challenging fathers who refuse to pay maintainence by denying them access completely or seding them to prison rather than putting all the strain on mothers as if mothers have the time to be chasing their rights.
jane - 9-Nov-12 @ 10:29 PM
My son lives at home with me an my husband, has been hounded by the CSA now for the past 4 years regarding payments for my grandson. My grandson also resides with with us, more often than he is at home with his mum. Over the past years, we have sent in numerous correspondance regarding the times my grandson has stayed with us, even sent in yearly callandar's showing the days/nights spent with our family. But still the dispute is ongoing. My grandson has now been living permanently at our house now since the begining of July due to his mum moving to a different area. My grandson does not want to move to the new area, all his friends and school are close to where we live. He is doing well and happy at school and does not want to change schools. I dont think my grandsons mum would have contacted the CSA to inform them of the change of circumstance. Please advise as this now has been going on for what seems like forever and just feel as if we are banging our heads agains a brick wall. Your agents listen to what we say, but then items get lost and nothing comes out of the effort that we put in to inform you of the circumstances. Please advise....
Roxy - 26-Sep-12 @ 10:25 AM
i have been seperated from my 2 childrens father for 7 yrs now and ive had no financial help from him,,he recieves 500 pounds per wk and refuses to come to an arrangement or agreement about payments,if i am to report him as he has only jst been intouch telling me hes paying csa £45.05 per wk but i am not receiving anything,where i thought i would be notified of any payments,am i entitled to csa and how much would i recieive for 2 children,he is in full time employement,am i entitled to 7yrs worth ofback dated payments ,my children are now 10 and 7
ottis - 31-Aug-12 @ 5:58 PM
Leave a Comment, Ask for Advice or Share Your Story...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the ChildSupportLaws website. Please read our Disclaimer.