Home > Changing CSA Decisions > CSA Ongoing Cases: Periodic Case Checks

CSA Ongoing Cases: Periodic Case Checks

By: Lorna Elliott LLB (hons), Barrister - Updated: 21 Jul 2017 |

It is standard procedure for the CSA to carry out periodic case checks on each of its calculations. Normally these checks are carried out once every two years. Whether actual checks occur at these intervals in individual cases depends on the CSA’s decision maker in question, as well as the circumstances of the particular case and the likelihood that changes will take place. It is pertinent to note that the 5% tolerance rule does not apply to periodic case checks (i.e. no change will be made in the event that the non-resident parent’s income has gone up or down by a variable of 5%).

The CSA’s Discretion

The CSA does not have to grant periodic case checks in all cases. For example, if the non-resident parent remains on benefit, there will be no point in checking the file. However, information from the Citizen’s Advice Bureau states that reviews occur at intervals that are ‘appropriate to the client’s case.’ This could mean as frequently as every twelve months, up to only once every four years. It follows, therefore, that non-resident parents who have been obstructive or who have not complied with the CSA’s requests in the past will be subject to more frequent reviews than those non-resident parents who have been fully cooperative throughout their dealings with the CSA.


If the case check reveals information to show that there may be grounds for instigating a supersession, the CSA will do this. In the event that there is a further change in circumstances after the periodic case check, this will be treated as part of the check, rather than requiring a further supersession, as long as it occurs within 26 weeks of the case check.


In cases that result in supersession, the CSA should give the parties involved 28 days notice either orally or in writing. If the parties are informed on different days, the 28 day period commences on the date of the later notification.

On notifying the parties about any intended supersession, the CSA allows parties to make representations about any changes within 14 days. If the CSA does not receive any responses, or if the responses signal that there are no relevant changes in circumstances, then no action will be taken. In the event that there are changes reported, the CSA may decide that this new information has to be verified.

Once in possession of this new information, the CSA will decide whether there are any grounds for supersession. It is important to note that the CSA will not notify you if there is no new decision. If there is a new decision the parties must be notified, and the CSA is under certain obligations to provide information in this notification. The notification must:

  • include details as to how to seek a revision, a supersession and how to appeal. These rights are the same whether or not a new maintenance calculation is made.
  • include the date on which the decision becomes effective
  • the net income of the non-resident parent
  • details of the children, whether qualifying or not
  • the rate of the calculation
  • any variations made to a previous calculation
  • any adjustments made to the rate because of shared care, or any time spent in local authority care or other type of care.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Am so disappointed with the service just rubbish to be honest...who does CSA favour us single mums and our children or these deadbeats really.my case has been ongoing for over a year and all i get is rubbish they don't care about what we have to put up with day in and out am closing my case I'll deal with the deadbeat alone.
chichi - 5-Oct-13 @ 11:33 PM
How is it I get 7 pound a week csa. When my daughters dad has a 135 k car several Properties and businesses ?
Lily - 22-Oct-12 @ 8:23 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Blakie
    Re: Child Maintenance Payments: Your Entitlement
    Hi, I'm a father of two children. I have religiously paid child maintenance each and every month to the…
    21 October 2017
  • Millie
    Re: How the CSA Works
    Hi please can someone out there help me My child father had a very good highly payed job . Now I have asked for child support for my 16 year boy…
    21 October 2017
  • Flump
    Re: Enforcement of CSA/CMS Payments
    The amount of men complaining about having to pay for their child is disgusting....dont have kids if you aren't willing to…
    21 October 2017
  • FathersforJustice
    Re: What Rights Does My Ex Have With Regards to Our Children?
    Became a dad recently, got thrown out after 2 weeks for not helping out enough, (apart from…
    21 October 2017
  • Cath
    Re: What Counts as Earnings?
    Hi, I’m a single mum and have two children (10 & 5) with my ex who has paid 3 months - £360 over the last 5 years and manages to buck…
    21 October 2017
  • ChildSupportLaws
    Re: Child Custody Rights
    Catalonianuksp - Your Question:I had a short relationship with a British girl that lead in a child who's most of the time with me as my ex is…
    20 October 2017
  • ChildSupportLaws
    Re: The EU and Common Child Support Laws
    Lostcsaanswers - Your Question:I had a 1night stand with an African girl I met on the internet 2 years later I get a…
    20 October 2017
  • ChildSupportLaws
    Re: Can I Get Back Pay for Child Maintenance?
    charley - Your Question:My dad owes supposedly owes 6000 according to my mum, I'm not too sure what for possibly…
    20 October 2017
  • ChildSupportLaws
    Re: Child Maintenance Payments: Your Entitlement
    Cathy - Your Question:My daughters husband pays nothing towRds his 4 children apart from a non regular £7 s…
    20 October 2017
  • ChildSupportLaws
    Re: How the CSA Works
    Laura - Your Question:Hi I have a daughter with my ex partner who hasn't been involved he also has another baby in same position the mother has…
    20 October 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the ChildSupportLaws website. Please read our Disclaimer.