Home > Child Support & Family > Maintenance: Separation and Divorce

Maintenance: Separation and Divorce

Author: Anna Martin - Updated: 30 March 2015 | commentsComment
Parent Children Child Obligation

If a couple separate or divorce there will be many things to consider. These will include how they divide their possessions, what to do with their home, shared finances and other equally important matters. If there are children, within the relationship, maintenance and child support will also become a consideration.

Responsibilities And Obligations

It is a parent’s responsibility and obligation to provide financial support for their children. This is accepted in the form of Child Support, which is paid to the parent the child will continue to live with. This could also be paid to other family members, grandparents or a legal guardian, if this is who the child or children live with.

Child Support payments are made to allow the parent with care to have sufficient funds to cover the costs of raising a child, and should be used to pay for educational and extracurricular activities, clothing, shelter and food.

Shared Care

The parent who retains full-time responsibility for a child, is known as the parent with care and is entitled to receive maintenance from the parent who lives elsewhere. In some cases custody of the child is shared, and the child divides their time between both parents equally. Shared care is usually considered to be the best option for the child, as they will regularly get to benefit from spending time with each parent.

By sharing care and parental responsibilities the 'with care' parents are also agreeing to contribute financially to the costs of the child’s expenses. However, the father will still be expected to pay maintenance to the child’s mother, although the amount payable will be considerably less than if he had limited contact with the child.

Maintenance Payment Limit

Maintenance is calculated by assessing the income of both parents. After pension contributions are deducted maintenance payments are worked out as being 15% of the net sum for one child, 20% for two children and 25% for three or more children. Children from a second family with be treated in the same way, and the number of children will be taken into account when payable maintenance is calculated.

The non resident parent is obligated to pay maintenance towards the cost of their child, until the child reaches the age of 19.

Court Orders

The court can issue orders for a number of different financial reasons.This includes maintenance payments to a former partner, maintenance for children, the provision of a lump sum to a partner and/or children, a property adjustment or transfer of property, or a claim on the other’s person’s pension.

After filing divorce proceedings the man or woman can file a financial claim application. These forms are filled in by both individuals at the same time, and an appointment is then made with the court. Once evidence has been filed a decision is reached in court. The court decides financial issues by examining evidence, the income and earning capacity of both individuals, other financial resources and responsibilities, the standard of living and the contribution each person makes to the welfare of the children.

You might also like...
Leave a Comment, Ask for Advice or Share Your Story...
[Add a Comment]
@Andyroo - I'm afraid we can never answer questions regarding the chances of you being awarded care of your children through a residency order as it is quite impossible to predict. The court will decide what is in the best interests of your children. Before it goes to court there will be involvement from Cafcass. An officer would assess you both as parents and if the children are old enough ask their opinions too. As you can imagine some quite complex issues may be raised and it would be up to Cafcass to put together a report on what its opinions were in order to present it to the court. The court would then make an informed decision based upon that report and the evidence presented on who the children should reside with. I hope this helps.
ChildSupportLaws - 1-Apr-15 @ 11:54 AM
My wife has been verbally abusing me, pretty much ever since our second child came along. In January this year, she told me that she wanted to be a surrogate mother, whilst we were out with my friends. Divorce is mentioned, because I am not on board with her idea and is only followed up when I say I want to sell the house. I do not like her methods of teaching our children to do or not do things, like shutting the eldest son's arm in a door, all because he done that to his younger brother. Or scrubbing their teeth, when cleaning them, or cutting their nails so short they bleed, or tipping our eldest son over and laying him on the floor, when he is sat in his seat at the table and be pushing the chair onto two legs. Nor do I like being told what I can and can not say to my children. My wife has pulled me to one side on a number of occasions about this and told me off for doing so. I do not like the fact that I am not allowed to leave books on a bookcase at the top of the stairs, as they will get ruined when the boys play alone upstairs. Yet it is perfectly acceptable for her to let the eldest one play upstairs with a friend and for them to empty shampoo bottles and other bottles from the bathroom, onto the floor. Thank god they did not drink any of this. I currently work 5 days a week, yet can provide a safe environment for the children to live and for me to prepare breakfast and an evening meal for them. I also have someone that can look after them, whilst I am at work. What are the chances of me being able to have the children?
Andyroo - 30-Mar-15 @ 12:49 PM
@trg1 - really sorry to hear of your predicament, but please be strong, life will get better. I can really only direct you to the Child Maintenance Options site, link here , as it will be dependent on a series of factors that makes it very difficult to answer via here. Also, child maintenance and what he pays for the house can be arranged between you personally should you wish. But you can call someone to talk it through. You may also be interested in the Family Lives helpline if you are feeling you need to talk to someone about your day-to-day issues. Link here . I hope this helps.
ChildSupportLaws - 29-Jan-15 @ 3:08 PM
Hi My husband recently decided to leave me with a five month old baby. He decided to do this the day after my dad died too. He knew I had depression and was suffering severely and this has damaged me completely so I don't know if that effects anything. I'm confused to what I'm entitled to as different sites say different things from one saying it is 20% of his earnings to another saying he needs to keep on paying what he is paying now towards rent and bills as well as 15% of his yearly earnings . I want to do to what's best for my bab.I've been together 6 years and married for 2. Any advice is greatly appreciated
trg1 - 28-Jan-15 @ 6:42 PM
My husband left me when I was 33 weeks pregnant with our son he saw his son only a handful of times and hasnt bothered at all for the last 6 weeks and has said he doenst want to be involved in his life as he has a drug addiction and isnt fit to be a good dad. Yet he is living with someone else and playing daddy to her two children. Does he still have to pay me maintenance?
jw - 2-Aug-14 @ 9:30 PM
My son was 19 two weeks ago I am still paying for him as he wont work hes supposed to go to college 3 days a week but doesn't go. do I still have to pay?
kazza - 20-Jun-13 @ 7:41 PM
I have just seperated from my wife and would like to know if I have to pay maintenance as well as half of the d/debits and standing orders in our joint bank account
bigears - 29-Jul-12 @ 2:06 PM
Hi, my friends situation is quite unusual, she shares custody of her two children with her ex husband, (she has the kids 4 days a week & he has them 2 days) He is now claiming maintenance for those 2 days, even though he is self employed & making more money than her. The CSA has stated that £50 per child is the amount to pay, she is on a low wage and is at her wits end. Please help?
Lou - 3-Jul-12 @ 9:36 PM
could you please tell me if a married man has to pay his wife still if he leaves her and if he does how long for and what does he have to pay for , the children are pass the age of concern as they have left school , do hope you can help as it will sort out a very large argument . thank you .
shady - 6-Jun-12 @ 10:05 AM
Leave a Comment, Ask for Advice or Share Your Story...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Our Quick Links
Latest Comments
  • austenland
    Re: Child Support Payments: Your Entitlement
    hello, I came out. Of a physically/emotionally/sexually abusing reletionship last year. My ex partner is from…
    2 April 2015
  • Just me
    Re: Child Custody Rights
    Hi, I separated from my wife some time ago and both my Children remained living with their Mother. As a result I have been paying…
    1 April 2015
  • None
    Re: Enforcement of CSA Payments
    Can you help. My daughter has not received any CSA calculated maintenance for the past 9 months when her ex lost his job He has…
    1 April 2015
  • Looloo10
    Re: Child Custody Rights
    Can you give me advice. My boyfriends ex wife has decided I am not allowed to be around her children when they spend time with their dad.…
    1 April 2015
  • ANGELA_lefted high a
    Re: Moving Abroad, The Issues
    Dear all. Please can you help me. The father of my child is American, My baby girl was born in th UK, both of us are British…
    1 April 2015
  • hadit
    Re: What Rights Does My Ex Have With Regards to Our Children?
    My ex wife has called all the shots with regards to dropping off and picking up times. I…
    1 April 2015
  • ChildSupportLaws
    Re: Child Support Payments: Your Entitlement
    @Cerianne - you can find out via Child Maintenance Options here. I hope this helps.
    1 April 2015
  • ChildSupportLaws
    Re: Child Custody Rights
    @Annefabe26 - the courts are always very reluctant to take children from mothers and give them to fathers when mothers have been the main…
    1 April 2015
  • ChildSupportLaws
    Re: Maintenance: Separation and Divorce
    @Andyroo - I'm afraid we can never answer questions regarding the chances of you being awarded care of your children…
    1 April 2015
  • ChildSupportLaws
    Re: Child Custody Rights
    @lion - I am sorry to hear that the relationship once amicable has become soured. I have no idea what would happen if you took this to court…
    1 April 2015
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the ChildSupportLaws website. Please read our Disclaimer.