Home > Child Support & Family > How to Make a Claim for Child Support

How to Make a Claim for Child Support

Author: Anna Martin - Updated: 17 August 2015 | commentsComment
Child Support Agency Csa Maintenance

Claiming Child Support, from a non resident parent, is a simple process that requires a relatively small amount of a parent with care’s time. This periodic payment will help towards the costs of a child’s day-to-day living expenses, and can be used to pay for school fees, clothing, shelter, food and extracurricular activities.

What Do To

The Department for Work and Pensions provides an easy-to-use website, where parents can download claim forms and access additional resources. Child Support claim forms are available in pdf format and can be printed off, signed and posted to the relevant address.

In some cases, the option to fill in details and submit forms online is also available. Before submitting information online however, parents must be registered with the centralised registration service, the Government Gateway. This service allows users to access other government services on the Internet. Once registration is complete individuals can use a single user ID to send and receive application forms.

Parents can also directly contact the Child Support Agency (CSA), and provide the required information to staff on the telephone, by using a call back facility.

How Long Does It Take?

From the minute an application form is submitted to the CSA’s formal acknowledgement takes around 12 weeks. The initial four weeks is taken up by gathering and checking information provided by the non resident parent. If a trace needs to be put on the parent the whole process will take considerably longer. Ensuring relevant details and up-to-date information is provided at the start of the application process will enable CSA staff to complete the necessary administrative tasks more quickly.

The Child Support Agency aims to give parents with care an accurate decision as soon as possible, but sometimes this could take in the region of 26 weeks.

How Soon Is Payment Arranged?

Once initial payment arrangements have been made, the CSA aims to collect and distribute the first child maintenance payment, to the parent with care, within 6 weeks. Once the CSA receives maintenance payment from the non resident parent it takes a week to process and to distribute the amount.

If a Child Support payment has to be deducted from a non resident parent’s wages, via their employer, due to the parent’s failure to comply with obligations, the payment may take around 4 months to set up and distribute.

What To Do If A Parent Lives Abroad

If a parent no longer lives in the UK the Child Support Agency is only able to help collect payments if a claim for maintenance meets with the exceptions the CSA cover. If a non resident parent is working abroad in the service of the Crown, is a member of the Armed Forces, works abroad for a UK based company or is working abroad on secondment, to a recognised body like the NHS, the CSA will be able to assist parents with care with their maintenance claims.

If the non-resident parent lives abroad, but does not meet the above requirements, parents with care can apply for child maintenance through the UK courts.

You might also like...
Leave a Comment, Ask for Advice or Share Your Story...
[Add a Comment]
Indian40 - Your Question:
Hi.I've been getting agreed maintenance for my son for three years.it used to be 250 a month but he's been dropping it and now I get 150 a month.wondered if it was best to go through these channels and get set payments each month without him dropping them more.thanks

Our Response:
You don't say why he is dropping the payments, is it because of reduced financial circumstances? If so, then the CMS may not be able to get any extra from him. However, if his payments are irregular, and not due to any dowturn in income, then the CMS (although they may charge) may be the best way forward.
ChildSupportLaws - 18-Aug-15 @ 2:12 PM
Hi..I've been getting agreed maintenance for my son for three years..it used to be 250 a month but he's been dropping it and now I get 150 a month..wondered if it was best to go through these channels and get set payments each month without him dropping them more..thanks
Indian40 - 17-Aug-15 @ 8:54 PM
george - Your Question:
My15 year old stepson has come to live with us ,my husband has been paying maintenance since he was 2 and csa for the last 8 years ,can we now claim csa off his mum as we are caring for him full time thanks

Our Response:
You should be able to. I have included a link to the CMS website here which should help you further.
ChildSupportLaws - 11-Aug-15 @ 11:57 AM
My15 year old stepson has come to live with us ,my husband has been paying maintenance since he was 2 and csa for the last 8 years ,can we now claim csa off his mum as we are caring for him full time thanks
george - 9-Aug-15 @ 1:21 AM
I previously closed a case for my children due to the fathe not working. Now he is I was hoping I could restart my claim. I've asked on several occasions for him to help with costs and he refuses. I have two children. Please advise Regards
mojo - 12-Jul-15 @ 10:07 PM
Hy I've claimed the mantainance for about 2 years now at the mantainance court, and since he paid 4 times only and its only R400.00 evry month but he earn R8000.00 .when I want to know why am I not getting any money thy say they are investigating ....bt I dnt c changes the baby is growing plz help I'm frm south africa
nokthula - 30-Jun-15 @ 4:10 PM
hi I have a 18 month old son and his father didn't turn up to put his name on birth certificate, now he is saying our son is not his , can I still go to csa for money for my son as he already pays an ex through csa for his other 3 children and could I get a DNA test done to prove he is the father ?
bash - 20-Jun-15 @ 5:05 PM
@cruella - I have included the REMO list of 'countries where you can enforce child maintenance decisions' here. It also includes guidance on how to apply for child maintenance if one parent lives abroad. I hope this helps.
ChildSupportLaws - 6-May-15 @ 11:09 AM
Can someone help me in finding out how and whether i can claim child support from Namibia, Africa from a father in the UK. He used to live here and returned to the UK last Dec and since not paid any money.. i know he is working and earning. Is there any legal help or ways to get him to pay...
cruella - 6-May-15 @ 1:06 AM
@miss enormous - if he refuses to pay and you you can't agree on a family-based arrangement, then you can make a claim through Child Maintenance Options, see link here. Be warned, it does make a charge. However, in the first instance you can call its helpline or read the page for advice. I hope this helps.
ChildSupportLaws - 17-Mar-15 @ 9:45 AM
@PRAT - You may be interested in the article Can I Get Back Pay for Child Maintenance? Link here . If you are unhappy with the way the CSA has dealt with your claim, you can complain. I hope this helps.
ChildSupportLaws - 16-Mar-15 @ 9:44 AM
Hi I have a 2 year son. and im not getting any money from his father. He had a job recently and I asked him for money for our kid but kept making excuses to say he doesnt get paid enough, and that he has to give his mum. But yet again he buys himself a new coat and shoes and weed. Now his got a new job and his trying to hide it from me. Please help. I let him see his kid but have stopped now because im fed up. He says he will give me but I dont trust me. He keeps saying that anx then something comes up.
miss enormous. - 13-Mar-15 @ 5:59 PM
PRAT - 12-Mar-15 @ 5:54 PM
@Helen - you can apply via the link here. I hope this helps.
ChildSupportLaws - 3-Feb-15 @ 11:27 AM
Hello I have a son of 13 years old and I have never had a penny off is dad I am in Worcesterhow do I go about putting a clam in plz
Helen - 1-Feb-15 @ 11:23 AM
Hi please how can I claim child maintenance for my three children, whom their father lives in the United State, and refuses to assist with their financial welfare
Chioma - 28-Sep-13 @ 4:57 PM
Hi everyone im in a situation where my partner pays his ex £150 a month in cash for his 2 children but I have 3 children with him and he doesnt give me a penny for them so I have asked him to lower his payments to£100 a month so he can give me some money for our 3 children. he has told me dont tell me how much I can give her a month. I dont know what to do please help!!!!
cazzy - 6-Apr-13 @ 10:12 AM
Hi Leanne I'm in the exact same boat! My son is 3 and a half and split from his dad nearly 2 years now for the first few months he messed my son and myself around and didn't give a pen y then he started contributing small payments but they soon became irregular but I still allowed him to see our son as I want nothin more than him to have his father in his life! But after all the messing about he has done and lies he has told I have ha enough now! After asking him for £40 a week as my son is now in nursery school and have to place him in private nursery twice a week which is £20 a day! As a single parent renting I have to provide every day stuff for my son aswell and clothes ect as you know they grow so fast! About a month half ago maybe 2months his nan (fathers side) asked to have my son for the weekend which I said was fine, his dad was living there therefore I knew he would see him! After then she asked again which I didn't agree to as he is still messing him about and not providing for him. She hen handed me a council tax card she said she found in my sons pocket and asked me why her sons name was on it? Which baffled me after researching, he has his own place and working but not legit! Which is dam right cheeky! After speaking to him about this he threatened me if I go CSA he will make my life and my son life hell! He has further lied amount o times to which has made me go CSA now! I have his mums address and the separate address so hopefully they can get hold of him x hope you sort it out Hun! Pathetic men arnt they
Hannah woolfall - 29-Oct-12 @ 2:06 PM
Hi please help, my daughters father has not paid maintenance since June and the CSA have said that he is not down as claiming benefits and that the HMRC dont show him down under employment or paying tax, they now want to park my issue which i dont feel is fair, is there anything than can be done to trace him, i hold his mums address which i know he stays from time to time but dont know what his actual living address is down as and dont really know much more, thanks x
leanne - 24-Oct-12 @ 3:44 PM
Can someone help me,i am german my sons father is british, armed forces, but he doesnt wants to pay for our son as he says when he is back home the german lawyer will never find him anyways
Caro - 8-Oct-12 @ 6:13 PM
@Sammy You can download child support claim forms off the DWP website, fill them in and send them off as soon as possible (the address will be on the forms).You are not the one who is disputing whether or not he is the father of your child, he is the one doing that and therefore it is up to him to sort out and pay for a DNA test which I'm sure he will do once he is contacted by the CSA after they receive your forms!If it is proven that he is the father he will have to pay towards his daughters upkeep whether he is a part of her life or not.Good luck to you and your baby girl.
Abbie - 28-Jun-12 @ 3:15 PM
Hi, I have a 10week old daughter and her father walked away from us as soon as he found out I was pregnant, he was born 10weeks premiture and has been through a lot in her short life! I have offerd her dad and his family to see her all the time but he's not interested and is asking for a DNA test but we both know he his the father as I was with him for nearly 4 years! What do I do about claiming csa would I need to give a dna test? If you could get back possible that would be most helpful. Thanks
sammy - 28-Jun-12 @ 2:38 PM
He certainly never taught you to spell...!
WXM-D - 27-Jun-12 @ 8:50 AM
hey I am a 19 year old cn I still claim maitance from my father as he never dd anything for me
DIE PADDA - 21-Jun-12 @ 12:48 PM
Leave a Comment, Ask for Advice or Share Your Story...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the ChildSupportLaws website. Please read our Disclaimer.